"Home Spa Lady Tips" Ezine Collection

This is the place where you can access all of the Home Spa Lady's Tips of the Week. To get these Tips of the Week emailed directly to your email, go to http://www.HomeSpaLady.com

9.7.08

Do You Want to Write a Book? / Issue #137 - July 9, 2008

Home Spa Lady's
Tips of the Week
Issue # 137 - July 9, 2008
Publisher: Marilee Tolen RN
mailto:marilee777@aol.com
http://www.HomeSpaLady.com
http://www.HomeSpaLady.com/blog (Blog)
Home Spa Lady (TM)

Circulation: 3208


==============================================
Home Spa Lady ~ Simple Solutions for Self-Care At Home
==============================================

In This Issue
================================

1. Do You Want to Write a Book? Your Dog Can Help
(video 22 sec - will Prin write a book too?)

2. Essential Oil Tip: Sore Broken Toenail
(video: 1 min 39 sec)

3. Success Tip: Lead Dog

4. Recipe of the Week: Quinoa, Kale and Avocado Salad

5. HSL's Joke or Cute Quote of the Week

6. The "Green Tea with Marilee" Show - Thyroid


==================================================
1. Do You Want to Write a Book? Your Dog Can Help
==================================================

I'm probably in the same boat with many of you.

I haven't written a book, and I don't know if I even
want to take that on, despite the continuous info
that wants to pour out of me.

But the idea of writing and self-publishing a book has been
niggling at me for quite some time!

Truthfully, I don't even know if I could write a book.

Yeah. . . I've got this newsletter thing going on. . and yeah,
I've proven to myself that I am willing to make the attempt. .

. . .but self publish a book?

When we have these little indecisive dilemmas, I think the
best thing to do to help us make our decisions is to
become empowered with information.

Get the data and the facts. Then, with a little dose of
intuition and inner guidance, we can make our decisions!

That being said, I've got an opportunity for us to learn and
"get the facts" with the World Renowned Self Publishing Guru.

This guy is the go-to man for self-publishing.

It seems that every author I've come across who has self-
published has either read his book(s) or somehow was influenced
by his work.

So, if you have had a similar little 'niggling' going on. . .why
not join me on Monday as I interview Dan Poynter.

I think you'll be rather comfortable with us. . .he knows that
when he speaks with me that my listeners (YOU) are health care
oriented folks.

I'm not sure if he will design his information toward our
industry but we can learn from him either way.

Okay - so you are probably wondering, where does the dog part
come in?

Below is a cute article written by a blogger who shares insights
about writing, publishing, and how her dog has helped her.

Oh yeah. . .and one other thing. . .here is a little video I
captured of Prin. . . he was sneaking around on my bookshelves
and "borrowed" my Dan Poynter book. He informed me he is
joining the call with Dan too.

Click this link or copy and paste it into your "bow-ser":
http://snipurl.com/isprinwritingabook

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoy Stephenie's article. . . .


"What My Dog Taught Me About Getting Published"

By Stephenie Hovland

My dog Luther showed me how to get published.
Okay, I confess. I'm already published and was
really just looking for a way to adore my dog
and count it as writing time. Even so.
I think he had some great ideas!

1. It's okay to be a mutt. Just as Luther doesn't
have to have a pedigree for people to say he's a
great dog, you don't have to have a doctorate in
science to write a science book for kids. You
don't have to have an English degree to write a novel.
Be yourself. Draw on your strengths, your curiosities.
If you wait until you've earned all the "right" degrees,
you may never start writing.

2. Follow those who feed you. If I have lunch
in my hands, Luther sits next to me, but doesn't
beg; he waits patiently. As a writer, you have a
choice of who you approach to publish your manuscript.
I prefer to send my writing to paying publishers, though
occasionally I donate articles. Paying publishers help me
feed my family. After I send my manuscript, I wait
patiently for them to respond. Sometimes I get a rejection,
but other times I'm amazed by how great the response is.
It's like throwing a steak to Luther. Don't think that
because you are a beginner or have been rejected before, you
aren't worthy of submitting to paying markets. Submit, then
sit. Stay. Good dog.

3. Always be ready to run. Luther told me that other
less-obedient dogs will dart out the door at every
opportunity, then race away from their angry owner.
Luther only does that when he sees a rabbit or squirrel
and thinks he can catch them. Writers should always be
looking for their opportunities to be published. Pick up
magazines in the dentist office, do market research.
Join message boards online that relate to writing and to your
specialty. If you write (or would like to write) Christian
parenting articles and books, join groups for writers,
Christians, parents, Christian parents, single parents, moms,
dads, etc. -- whatever you can relate to your genre.
Then, become more than a chatty member. Become a resource for
others and learn from them. Ideas for articles and opportunities
to become published will pop up all over the place, if you are
ready.

4. Leave your mark. When I take Luther on a walk,
I'm amazed he doesn't become dehydrated with all the "marking" he
does. Anything vertical gets wet. Please don't pee on your
publishers. That's not what I'm talking about! Don't be afraid to
leave your mark by promoting yourself. Put your website address
in your signature line for every e-mail you send. Keep business
cards with you at all times. Have a writers resume and clips
updated at all times (and keep a copy or two in your car) - you
never know who you'll run into when you visit the library or pay
for an ad. Remember to let people know what you do. If you don't
tell them, how will they ever know?

My husband may think Luther is only good for matting the carpet
with dog hair, but I think he's a great interview. Certainly,
there are many more tips for getting published, but if you follow
my dog's sage advice, you will find opportunities almost
everywhere you go. And, you will be ready!

Visit Stephenie's blog http://blog.faith-filled.com/ to find more
insights about writing and Luther.

Article Source:
http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Stephenie_Hovland

Note from Marilee. . . Stephenie's article spoke of using
publishers for your book. . .let's hear from Dan on Monday about
self-publishing!


=================================================
2. Essential Oil Tip: Sore Broken Toenail
=================================================

Ouch.

My toenail split and tore the skin. One of the dangers of
barefootin'

I ran to my medicine cabinet and this is what I grabbed to
choose from:

Purification
Palo Santo
Eckerd Drugs A & D Ointment (what is THAT doing in there?)
Lavender
Wild Tansy

See video: http://snipurl.com/ouch_brokentoenail

This is what I used. . . my all time fav. . . St. Marie's
Lavender.


For more info or to order any of these Young Living
products see your Young Living Distributor or go to
http://tinyurl.com/aenfp


==========================
3. Success Tip: Lead Dog
==========================

"If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes."
~ Anon


=============================================================
4. Recipe of the Week: Quinoa, Kale and Avocado Salad Recipe
=============================================================

1 Cup uncooked quinoa
3 Stalks of kale
1 Sheet of dried nori
1/2 Cucumber
1/2 Cup pine nuts
1 Avocado
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
Salad dressing to taste*

In a small point combine one cup quinoa with 2 cups of salted
water and bring to a boil. Cover, and lower heat, simmering for
about 15 minutes, or until all water has been absorbed.

While the quinoa cooks, remove the stems from the kale. Discard
and chop the leaves finely, adding them to a large bowl. The nori
can be difficult to cut, so you may find it easier to just break
off very small pieces to add to the salad. You can leave the skin
on the cucumber, but remove the seeds and chop into small pieces.

Add the pine nuts and sesame seeds to the kale, nori and
cucumbers. Add the avocado last (as you don't want it to brown).
Halve it, remove peel and pit, and chop into small pieces. Add to
the salad along with the vinegar and lemon juice. Once the quinoa
has cooked, stir it with a fork and transfer to the fridge to
cool.

Suggested dressing: Shiitake and Sesame Vinaigrette from
Annie's Naturals


=========================================
5. HSL's Joke or Cute Quote of the Week
=========================================

A wealthy old lady decides to go on a photo safari in Africa,
taking her faithful aged poodle named Cuddles, along for the
company.

One day the poodle starts chasing butterflies and before long,
Cuddles discovers that he's lost. Wandering about, he notices a
leopard heading rapidly in his direction with the intention of
having lunch.

The old poodle thinks, 'Oh, oh! I'm in deep doo-doo now!'
Noticing some bones on the ground close by, he immediately
settles down to chew on the bones with his back to the
approaching cat. Just as the leopard is about to leap the old
poodle exclaims loudly, 'Boy, that was one delicious leopard! I
wonder if there are any more around here?'

Hearing this, the young leopard halts his attack in mid-strike, a
look of terror comes over him, and he slinks away into the trees.
'Whew!' says the leopard, 'That was close! That old poodle nearly
had me!'

Meanwhile, a monkey who had been watching the whole scene from a
nearby tree, figures he can put this knowledge to good use and
trade it for protection from the leopard. So off he goes, but the
old poodle sees him heading after the leopard with great speed,
and figures that something must be up. The monkey soon catches up
with the leopard, spills the beans and strikes a deal for himself
with the leopard.

The young leopard is furious at being made a fool of and says,
'Here, monkey, hop on my back and see what's going to happen to
that conniving canine!'

Now, the old poodle sees the leopard coming with the monkey on
his back and thinks, 'What am I going to do now?', but instead of
running, the dog sits down with his back to his attackers,
pretending he hasn't seen them yet, and just when they get close
enough to hear, the old poodle says, 'Where's that damn monkey? I
sent him off an hour ago to bring me another leopard!'


Moral of the story: Brilliance and bull comes with age and
experience


=====================================
6. The "Green Tea with Marilee" Show
=====================================

The place for natural health tips, product reviews,
and interview with experts in Alternative Medicine, Holistic
Nursing, Nutrition, Energy Healing, and Essential Oils.

Today's show is about natural help with the thyroid.

Listen to my interview with Karilee Shames, PhD, RN, the co-
author of "Thyroid Power" (she wrote this with her physician
husband Richard). Karilee is a holistic nurse, Richard is
a holistic physician.

I was prompted to post this interview today because I've
had some recent questions about thyroid.

Debbie wrote in yesterday and asked about holistic approaches for
hypothyroidism.

Check out today's show. . . and don't forget to stop by and ask
your questions!

Go there now! http://www.GreenTeaWithMarilee.com



The Green Tea with Marilee Show
````````````````````````````````

Ask your most important question about natural health issues
and listen to the show for your answers!

Ask your question right now by going to:
http://www.GreenTeaWithMarilee.com


----------------------------------------------------------------

Where to Meet, Hear, or Learn with Home Spa Lady:

----------------------------------------------------------------


July 14, 2008

The "Green Tea with Marilee" Show

"Write Your Own Book"

Join me as I interview Self Publishing Guru
Dan Poynter and learn how you can get started
writing your own book and publishing it!

http://snipurl.com/greentea_w_danpoyntr


-----------------------------------------

July 18, 2008

The "Green Tea with Marilee" Show

"Opening a Holistic Center"

Join me as I interview Scott Rosen, owner
of Transformations. Scott brings in people
like Jack Canfield and Maryann Williamson
in through his center.

http://snipurl.com/signupmarilee_scott



------------------------------------------

July 21, 2008

The "Green Tea with Marilee" Show

"Introduction to Macrobiotics"

I love this!! Because food is healing and
if you agree you must listen to this!

You will also learn about how to get a
great education and credential in nutritional
coaching and counseling.

I am interviewing Denny and Susan Waxman, two of
the most powerful teachers in macrobiotics in
this country.

Denny wrote the book "The Great Life Diet" and
is one of Michio Kushi favorite teachers of his work.

http://snipurl.com/signup4waxmansshow


-----------------------------------------------------

July 23, 2008

"Heart Centered Marketing"

A new and powerful class for anyone who is a holistically
oriented professional, practitioner, or teacher who wants
to learn how to "out themselves out there" and promote themself
from a heart-centered, not "sales-y" place.


http://snipurl.com/hrtcrdmktg_register


-----------------------------------------------------------



Interested in Kick Starting Your Practice?

Great for holistically oriented health care
professionals with a practice!

Look at the 99 testimonials on this page -
you are all so beautiful!

http://snipurl.com/8_steps_ebook


-----------------------------------------------

PERMISSION TO REPRINT: You may reprint any items from "Home Spa
Lady's Tips of the Week" in your own print or electronic
newsletter, but please include the following paragraph:

Reprinted from "Home Spa Lady's Tips of the Week," a free
on how to Make Every Day A Spa Day. Subscribe at
http://www.HomeSpaLady.com.


=======================================================
Marilee Tolen RN
a.k.a. Home Spa Lady
marilee777@aol.com
Phone: 856-857-1799 (East Coast)