"Home Spa Lady Tips" Ezine Collection

This is the place where you can access all of the Home Spa Lady's Tips of the Week. To get these Tips of the Week emailed directly to your email, go to http://www.HomeSpaLady.com

18.1.07

Home Spa Lady Tips Issue #60/ Someone's Trying to (S)mell You Something

Home Spa Lady's
Tips of the Week
Issue # 60 - January 17, 2007
Publisher: Marilee Tolen RN
E-mail Marilee
http://www.HomeSpaLady.com
http://www.HomeSpaLady.com/blog (Blog)
Home Spa Lady(TM)
Circulation: 1106
=====================================
Make Every Day A Spa Day!
=====================================
Please forward this e-newsletter to anyone you know who is interested in natural health, wellness, healing, and beauty based on principles of energy, consciousness, spirituality, personal empowerment, delicious whole foods, cleansing and detoxification of the body and mind, and having a heck of a good time!
================================
In This Issue
================================
1. Someone's Trying to S(m)ell You Something
2. Essential Oil Tip: Sea Sickness
3. Success Tip: Dale Carnegie
4. Recipe of the Week: Caribbean Salad Dressing
5. HSL's Joke or Cute Quote of the Week
=============================================
1. Someone's Trying to S(m)ell You Something
=============================================
It's obvious that I love essential oils. I believe in the rejuvenating and healing properties of high quality therapeutic oils. And I love sharing them with other people - personally and professionally.

That doesn't mean that I love smells, nor do I want odors to permeate all aspects of my life. I particularly don't want imposed scents invading my nasal passages without my permission, especially when they are man-made and petrochemically-based, and most scents are. But I, like zillions of others who read newspapers and magazines daily, will be having the experience of surprise scents wafting up from our reading material very soon.

The "smell" industry is coming to get us, and they're coming fast. Why not? We're a captive audience with pages that can hold scent right under our nose. What great opportunity for advertising. Well, I'm freaking out. I already have a hard time walking through perfume counters in department stores. And don't even talk to me about Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I get a headache every time I'm in that place from the "perfume-grade" aromatherapy items that line just about every aisle. My friends don't understand this about me. They say "how can you feel that way when 'aromatherapy' is a main thrust of what you do?"

I remind them "not all aromas are therapeutic", as a matter of fact most of the identifiable smells we have are man-made and petrochemically based. That is one of the main reasons why I rarely use the word "aromatherapy" to describe what I do. Instead of saying that I do "aromatherapy", I say that I work with the "use of therapeutic grade essential oils". There is a huge difference. As a matter of fact, I inhale my therapeutic oils to counteract the effects of these artificial scents.

In the past few years we have seen an increased interest in "smellingness" as evidenced by the popularity of "aromatherapy". Large corporations are sniffing out advertising opportunities that this can offer. In 2006 companies spent $80 million on scent related marketing in 2006. And its only the beginning. Here's some examples:

--Kraft Foods sent a holiday issue with "rub and smell" ads for Jell-O and Chips Ahoy.
--Verizon Wireless had chocolate "scent strips" to promote a mobile phone and music player called Chocolate.
--Diet Pepsi has their ads, coupons, and store signs smelling like their new soft drink's fruit and vanilla fragrance.

"Scent Marketing" is catching on. Darn. And I was so glad when my invoices from Macy's and Strawbridges stopped wearing those headache-causing perfumes. Oh well. What does this all mean (besides the consideration of dumping the papers and reading everything online?) Well for me it just means more education is necessary. We need to let people know that there is a difference in an "aromatherapy" marketing venture and the therapeutic use of essential oils for health, healing, and beauty. I hope you join me in that effort.
===================================
3. Essential Oil Tip: Sea Sickness
===================================
Since this issue already has a personal tone (like my rant in the title article), I'm going to keep it a bit personal. I'm writing this issue aboard a wonderful cruise ship visiting ports in the Western Caribbean. I've never taken a cruise before, and I never wanted to. But I won this cruise so I decided to go for it.

One of my big concerns was getting sea sick. I did not want that horrible experience of nausea and vomiting and the feeling that comes with the motion sickness. I made sure I was going to be well prepared and packed the essential oil indicated for sea sickness (nausea) in my First Aid Essential Oil Kit. That essential oil is ginger. Ginger is great for nausea and motion sickness.Thank goodness I haven't needed it (I'm also wearing a Bio Band that works on an acupuncture point indicated for the same).

But if I were to use it, this is how I would:
--Inhalation
--Place a drop in a small glass of water and drink it
--Make ginger tea by using hot water
--Dilute the ginger essential oil with a little massage oil and put it on the bottom of the feet

Order your essential oils from your Young Livingdistributor or by going to Young Living's Website
==================================
5. Success Tip: Dale Carnegie
==================================
"You never achieve real success unless you like what you aredoing."
Dale Carnegie
==============================================
6.Recipe of the Week: Caribbean Salad Dressing
==============================================
This recipe comes from chef Ryan Roush at Cafe Mariposa on Utila, The Bay Islands of Honduras deep in the Caribbean. He says this is great on a salad with fruit!

--1 12 oz can pineapple juice
--4 tablespoons sesame seed oil
--2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
--2 tablespoons fresh parsley (or 1 tablespoon dried)
--1/2 teaspoon rosemary
--1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
--1/8 teaspoon salt
--Mix all ingredients in an airtight container with lid.
--Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
--No refrigeration necessary.
--Must be mixed well each time served, as the ingredients separate with the oils.
=========================================
7. HSL's Joke or Cute Quote of the Week
=========================================
An ambitious yuppie finally decided to pull himself away from his work and take a vacation. He booked a Caribbean cruise and proceeded to have the time of his life --at least for a while. Caught in a hurricane his ship went down and was lost instantly. The man found himself swept onto the shore of a deserted island. Only bananas and coconuts adorned the trees. Being familiar only with the comforts of modern life he was lost on what to do. For the next four months he ate bananas, drank coconut juice, longed for his old life, and fixed his gaze on the sea, hoping to spot a rescue ship.

One day, as he was lying on the beach, he spotted movement out of the corner of his eye. It was a rowboat, and in it was the most gorgeous woman he had ever seen. She rowed up to him. In disbelief, he asked her: "Where did you come from? How did you get here?" "I rowed from the other side of the island," she said. "I landed here when my cruise ship sank." "Amazing," he said, "I didn't know anyone else had survived. How many of you are there? You were really lucky to have a rowboat wash up with you." "It's only me," she said, "and the rowboat didn't wash up; nothing did."

He was confused, "Then how did you get the rowboat?" "Oh, simple," replied the woman. "I made it out of raw material that I found on the island. The oars were whittled from gum-tree branches, I wove the bottom from palm branches, and the sides and stern came from a eucalyptus tree." "But, but, that's impossible," stuttered the man. "You had no tools or hardware -- how did you manage?" "Oh, that was no problem," the woman said. "On the south side ofthe island, there is a very unusual strata of exposed alluvial rock. I found that if I fired it to a certain temperature in my kiln, it melted into forgeable ductile iron. I used that for tools, and used the tools to make the hardware. But enough of that. Where do you live?"

Sheepishly, the man confessed that he had been sleeping on the beach the whole time. "Well, let's row over to my place, then," she said. After a few minutes of rowing, she docked the boat at a small wharf. As the man looked onto shore, he nearly fell out of the boat. Before him was a stone walk leading to an exquisite bungalow painted in blue and white. While the woman tied up the rowboat with an expertly woven hemp rope, the man could only stare ahead, dumbstruck. As they walked into the house, she said casually, "It's not much, but I call it home. Sit down, please; would you like to have a drink?" "No, no, thank you," he said, still dazed. "I can't take any more coconut juice." "It's not coconut juice," the woman replied. "I have a still. How about a pina colada?"

Trying to hide his continued amazement, the man accepted, and they sat down on her couch to talk. After they had exchanged their stories, the woman announced, "I'm going to slip into something more comfortable. Would you like to take a shower and shave? There is a razor upstairs in the cabinet in the bathroom."

No longer questioning anything, the man went into the bathroom. There in the cabinet was a razor made from a bone handle. Two shells honed to a hollow-ground edge were fastened to its tip, inside a swivel mechanism. "This woman is amazing," he mused. "What next?"

When he returned, the woman greeted him wearing nothing but vines -- strategically positioned -- and smelling faintly of gardenias. She beckoned for him to sit down next to her. "Tell me," she began suggestively, sitting closer to him, "We've been out here for a very long time. There's something I'm sure you really feel like doing right now, something you've been wanting to do for all these months? You know..."She stared into his eyes. He couldn't believe what he was hearing: "You mean...," he replied, "I can check my e-mail from here?"
----------------------------------------------------------------
Where to Meet, Hear, or Learn with Home Spa Lady:
----------------------------------------------------------------
February 3-4, 2007
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Healing Touch Level One
contact Marilee for details 856-857-1799
---------------------------------
March 24-26, 2007
Galloway, New Jersey
Healing Touch Level 3
Contact Marilee for details 856-857-1799
-----------------------------------------------
Past Issues of Home Spa Lady's Tips of the Week
-----------------------------------------------

Don't let all this good info go by the wayside! Access the archives of the Tips of The Week at this site: http://www.homespaladytips.blogspot.com
-----------------------------------------------
PERMISSION TO REPRINT: You may reprint any items from "Home Spa Lady's Tips of the Week" in your own print or electronic newsletter, but please include the following paragraph:

Reprinted from "Home Spa Lady's Tips of the Week," a free ezineon how to Make Every Day A Spa Day. Subscribe at Home Spa Lady.

You are receiving this because you signed up for it at the Home Spa Lady website at Home Spa Lady or you told me you want to subscribe.

PRIVACY STATEMENT: Home Spa Lady will never distribute your address to anyone.
Period.
Promise.
=======================================================
Marilee Tolen RN a.k.a. Home Spa Lady
E-mail Marilee!
Phone: 856-857-1799 (East Coast)
www.HomeSpaLady.com
www.PeacefulPassages.org