"Home Spa Lady Tips" Ezine Collection

This is the place where you can access all of the Home Spa Lady's Tips of the Week. To get these Tips of the Week emailed directly to your email, go to http://www.HomeSpaLady.com

9.4.10

Essential Oils for the Sensitive Person April 7, 2010

A Note From Marilee


Essential Oils for the Sensitive Person



When I first experienced therapeutic grade essential oils thirteen years ago, I remember thinking to myself how perfect these types of oils were for me because I am so sensitive to smells and was
never really interested in "aromatherapy" as I knew it at that time.

It wasn't that I was unfamiliar with essential oils. As a matter of fact, I actually studied "aromatherapy" as part of my holistic nursing education and, yes, I did have my little bottle of lavender in my medicine cabinet.

Other than sprinkling it on my pillow or dripping it into my bathtub, I never learned much else to do
with lavender, and I was warned not to put it on my body without diluting it with four times the amount of massage oil.

Kind of scared me.

But I didn't want to put it on my body.

It smelled somewhat perfumey, and since I am environmentally and energetically sensitive, the last thing I wanted to do was to put a substance on my body that has synthetic chemicals in it, even if it
did have a pleasant scent.

It wasn't until I learned about "therapeutic grade essential oils" when I was introduced to Young Living that I was able to have a true appreciation for what essential oils can do for us.

After studying with Gary Young and learning that there are differing models and philosophies of use with essential oils, I became aware that in my prior education, I had been oriented to "aromatherapy" under the English Model. The English Model often use perfume grade oils and they emphasize that all essential oils must be diluted before they are put on the body.

And I agree with that - if you are using a perfume grade oil you would want to dilute it to put it on the body - if you want to put it on the body at all. . . I don't.

(It is important to note here that there are times when you would want to dilute a therapeutic grade oil as well, especially when you are using a hot oil).

I felt so much better knowing that there were significant differences in the quality and grades of essential oils! It cleared up much of my confusion.

When I started to use "therapeutic grade oils" I had very positive experiences right away. I just felt better, had more clear thinking, could breathe better, and they didn't bother my sensitivities.

So if you find yourself reading or hearing information about essential oils that is conflicting and contradictory, read about the different models of aromatherapy.

Here are a few great resources for you to learn more about the different models of "aromatherapy":

-- The Chemistry of Essential Oils Made Simple by David Stewart PhD - page 3

--Healing Oils, Healing Hands by Linda L. Smith - pages 47 - 52

Personally, I embrace the French model which recognizes the use of essential oils for healing and medicinal purposes. This model dictates that the highest grade essential oils be used. It is why
I choose to use the Young Living line of oils.

It is also why I choose to use the words "therapeutic use of essential oils" instead of "aromatherapy" when I speak about my own personal use of essential oils.

The sensitive person can benefit greatly from the therapeutic use of essential oils.

Here are some reasons why:

--Some people are more sensitive than others because their bodies are burdened by toxins and heavy metals.

Therapeutic oils detoxify and clean up their body burden in the body and help make them less sensitive to environmental toxins.

--Sensitive people can often pick up subtle energies in their environment because they have a "high vibration".

Therapeutic oils have high vibrations as well, so the sensitive person feels very comfortable using the oils.

--Therapeutic oils can also protect the energy fields of sensitive people helping them to feel less vulnerable to their environment and other people

--Sensitive people can use help grounding, and many of the therapeutic grade oils are helpful in grounding (specifically Valor, and many of the evergreens).

Order your essential oils from your Young Living distributor or by clicking here.